Monday, September 29, 2008

Meet Gwen

This little duckling was abandoned by her mom and was clinging to the very little life she had left when my boyfriend and I found her last night. She looked like she would only last an hour so we really didn't have much hope for her. I mainly wanted her to pass away somewhere warm and comfortable so she didn't have to suffer more than she already was. But as you can see, after being fed through an eye dropper and warmed up by a heat lamp (thank heaven we had one) she is doing 100 times better!! She is eating on her own (thank you IFA for having baby duckling food), holding her head up, AND walking on her own. I don't think we're out of the woods just yet but I think we have a good chance. Does anyone know anything about taking care of ducklings? If so, your help would be very much appreciated...








12 comments:

Carly said...

I am so happy Gwen survived the night! She seems like a new duck today! The picture of her plopped on her butt is the cutest thing ever!!!!

Hill said...

She is so cute. Good luck with that, I have taken in a lot of strays in my day but never a duck, so I don't know how to help you there.

Dana Dastrup said...

As weird as this is... My dad does!! I don't know what's exactly you are wanting to know, but I am sure he knows!

coco said...

those are the cutest pictures ever! i have a thing for ducks because it was the only pet my mom would let us have while growing up. ours never started out that small so i'm not sure what to tell you but it looks like you're doing something right. i love the picture in the hand towel and the one where she is plopped on her bum--i can't wait to show my kids. good luck, we'll have to come visit her.

andrea said...

so cute! me, re and av have already fell in love with it....

Ellery said...

her name needs to be spelled Guin. since she is named after a penguin.
she is cute... it will be even more cute when you have a miniature deer/squirl AND a duckling who follow you everywhere you go.

Tavis Johnson said...

hayley, you are in luck. i know exactly how to take care of your duck.

Spice Rubbed Grilled Duck Breast

Ingredients
2 cups orange juice
1 pint blackberries
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon chili de arbol
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoons five-spice powder
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
4 duck breasts, scored
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

the recipe calls for 4 duck breasts, but since you only have two and they are little, it might be a good idea to fourth the recipe.

i hope this is what you were looking for :)

Andy said...

Oh my goodness. She is so cute! I wish I had some duck advise to give, but I don't. Good luck!

Miss Candy Anderson said...

Okay this last picture is adorable. I love just coming here and looking at your pictures.

Hey, I was wondering... when you first started taking pictures, what camera did you have? Or what kind of camera do you recommend for people starting out or just wanting to take pictures for fun?

The Smiths said...

I would think JT would know everything about taking care of ducks! Well, maybe he knows how to "take care" of them but not really "care" for them ;-) Good luck! I want to meet Gwen! BTW - Tavis' post is freaking funny!

Megan said...

That last picture is adorable! I love it!

Miss Candy Anderson said...

Can Qwen be apart of the giveaway?